09 January 2022

PROJECT: Half-Life 2 AR2, Update #16 - Barrel Flex PCB


So there are a couple of ways to add RGB LEDs to the AR2 barrel, and since I prefer to use SMD components I can either use a rigid PCB or a flex PCB. Normally I would go the rigid route, but this time I chose to use flex as I have never used them for hobby projects

VS


Next up I simulated the possible LED viewing angles in SOLIDWORKS (just like I did with the IR LEDs). From this I was able to see that the RGB LEDs need to have a viewing angle of at least 120° to have a good barrel coverage

NOTE: Below simulation is super crude as it only looks at the 50% angular/spatial distribution (as in angle at which the brightness is at 50% maximum value), and does not account for the bright spot in the LED centre or the light diffusion within the material. Normally you would simulate all this with something like OpticStudio, but hey using SOLIDWORKS is better than nothing ;^)

1 comment: